Every day in the UK people go hungry.
We know there are people living in Yaxley and beyond who need help putting food on the table when faced with an unexpected situation.
The Food Bank
St. Peter’s is now one of more than 400 sites across the UK where food parcels are being distributed. In partnership with the Trussell Trust, as a distribution arm of the Godmanchester Food Bank, St. Peter’s is working with Yaxley Parish Council, other local organisations and volunteers.
How it works
- Food is donated – we rely on the generosity of local people and businesses. We have several donation points, including local supermarkets, schools and the church. We also offer supermarket shoppers a ‘food bank shopping list’ and ask them to buy an extra item with their shop. This food is then collected by volunteers who pack it for further sorting, weighing and storage.
- People in crisis are identified – Professionals from organisations such as Yaxley Health Centre, Social Services, Peterborough Citizens Advice, local Housing Associations and local schools, identify people in crisis and issue them with a food bank voucher. Please direct those requiring help to one of these agencies to apply for vouchers that can be exchanged for food parcels.
- Food parcels are distributed – those with a voucher bring it to the distribution point at St. Peter’s Church, where it can be exchanged for three days supply of emergency food. Volunteers will sit and chat with visitors over a cup of tea, offer to pray with them, and signpost them to agencies who can offer additional help and begin to resolve any underlying problems.
Where and when
- Distribution point: St. Peter’s Church, Yaxley
- Opening times: Mondays and Thursdays every week, from 3.00-5.00pm
|St. Peter’s Church||43 Church St, Yaxley, PE7 3LH|
|Fourfields Community Primary School||Bentley Av, Yaxley, PE7 3ZT|
|The Co-operative||Bentley Av, Yaxley, PE7 3ZT|
|St. Mary’s Church||Church St, Stilton, PE7 3RF|
|William de Yaxley C of E Academy||Landsdowne Rd, Yaxley, PE7 3JL|
|Yaxley Group Practice||The Health Centre, Landsdowne Rd, Yaxley, PE7 3JL|
|Yaxley Infant School||Main St, Yaxley, PE7 3LU|
|Yaxley Methodist Chapel||Main St, Yaxley|
Should you be aware of anyone who might benefit from this service, if you would like to volunteer, or if you’d simply like more information, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.